Book Art

Su Blackwell is an artist and sculptor who iv known about and loved her work for a while so I thought I share. Her most well known work is book sculpture, she cuts and carves bits out of books to make a 3-D fantasy image.

"I often work within the realm of fairy-tales and folk-lore. I began making a series of book-sculpture, cutting-out images from old books to create three-dimensional diorama’s, and displaying them inside wooden boxes". Su Blackwell.

She uses such great detail in her work and thinks about everything for example if she was doing a book sculpture on love she will use a love book and be careful to choose certain words to incorporate in the piece to do with love. It takes her so long to do one piece because it is so delicate and takes a lot of skill to cut out amazing scenes with a knife and paper.

Here are some of my favourites.
I decided to give it a go as she inspired me. Mine are clearly nothing like as good but it's a try.