Terry O'Niell

I was recently watching This Morning and Terry O'Niell was on, talking about his new project 'Reworked' and the gallery showing of it.



To celebrate 50 years of Terry O'Niell as well as all the famous stars he photographed he has allowed several young and upcoming artists to take his original photographs and rework and reinterpret the masterpieces using their own style and medium.

“I have been looking at my photographs for decades and they’ve become very familiar to me. What I love about this collaboration with Rook and Raven is having young artists with a fresh eye interpreting iconic images for a new generation. I am excited to see what they do and why they do it. For me, there is nothing so rewarding as working with new talent and fresh ideas.” Terry O'Niell
He goes on to say that his own images have become to familiar to him and need updating.

The original photographs sit next to the reworked to let the viewer compare and see how one piece can be transformed into something so different but still so marvelous. The reworked pieces are all one offs and come at a hefty price. The reworked photographs include Pam Glew: who created the bleached Union Jack covered Shrimpton and Stamp portrait and James Dawe who has reworked the  Brigitte Bardot image, adding beautiful coloured and black and white locks into “Bardot, Hair Waves”.

I actually went down to the gallery to have a look at this work only to find out that the Rook and Raven Gallery doesn't open on Mondays which is a shame but what I could see through the window looked impressive. The gallery ran till the 31st of March 2012.