Film or Digital?

A recent debate forum that I have been involved in about whether digital photography is taking over film got me really interested in the debate so I thought I would research and talk about it on here.

Here is a quote from an interview with Ricky Adam about his new book 'Destroying Everything' he tells us his thoughts on the matter at hand.

"So long as the image hasn’t been manipulated in any way a good photo is a good photo, regardless of what sort of camera was used to take it. You have to be a lot more resourceful when shooting film. For one you shoot fewer photos, but in doing so I think you learn a lot more about composition, lighting, etc. I often wonder how many more photos I would have if I could have shot digital when I first started out? Would I even have pursued photography? Possibly not… "

To me the sad but true fact is that analogue is dying out as not as many people use it as they used to. Digital is seen as the future of photography which is both good and bad in my eyes. I love using film and having to think about every detail from the lighting to the composition as well as processing it myself. It gives a great feeling of achievement. But with digital if you make a mistake you can see how you have done it and change it straight away without having to process the film and do the printing only to find out you have made a mistake. So I think they are both amazing in their own rights. As my tutor rightly said to me I must take a lot more care when shooting with film compared to shooting with digital. This is because with digital you aren't forced to think about each individual shot you just snap away for as long as you like. 

I have always loved Polaroid cameras from a very young child I would always have my own and take it everywhere. so i find it very sad that things like this don't exist any more. To me it doesn't make a great deal of sense because so many people use things like Instagram on their phones because they like the effect it gives to the image the effect of a Polaroid camera. I think if this sort of camera and film was brought back in to today's world it would be lapped up and thoroughly enjoyed across the world. So lets hope that maybe one day.